August 31, 2008

Groceries while carless

No deep questions today, just a bit o' reflection.
I'm procrastinating getting groceries because I have to do it on the bus.
Suddenly car-light looks like a lot of car!
Luckily, I don't need too much, and I plan on keeping it that way, so a hefty backpack will have to do.
Add my fading enthusiasm for plastic containers, and well, I could be in for a workout.
But that's OK, work should use up some stored calories.
I have two choices of close by groceries, both the same chain. One has the ever-tempting Taco Bell in the parking lot. That's the shorter ride, too, but the store is less well maintained.
Well, off to strap on the pedometer for grins and giggles.
How much does one hippie walk while fetching groceries?
I'll let you know.
And while I'm off, can someone recommend the best grocery cart for urban freaks?

2 comments:

tim said...

This is one of the great/tragic choices for urban dwellers. A college attending friend of mine has given me her essays on this subject to read. There is a 'grocery gap' that means a great deal to those who have to deal with it. Keep up the great blogging. Unlike many bloggers, you are blogging about issues and problems that mean something. Thank you.

Robyn said...

Thanks, Tim.
I'm in a 'burb, so I'm lucky to have a store that knows what an apple is without it being in a can.
The lack of fresh foods or choices in cities can be dismaying, and I think it leads to the continuing overweight- but nutritionally deficient diet in the Untied States.
If it is easier to get three happy meals, that's what a harried parent is going to do.